back to RStefan01.com
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recettear - The game of running an item shop
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:50 pm 

So this is apparently some kind of grandiose version of the shop running in Dragon Quest IV Chapter III, except you pay someone else (Which you play as in a Zelda like mode) to do the dungeon running.

The good: (Source)
Quote:
The only potentially off-putting detail would be the characters' voices, which remain in Japanese. Anyone who finds squeaky Anime girls annoying may be worn down by the sounds they'll make over the course of the game, though it's easy enough to tune out/mute.
Fuck. You. ('.')<^>

The bad:
The one word I keep hearing. The word I hate more than any other (Save maybe for [REDACTED].)

Localization.

I hate "localization." It fucking sucks, it sucking fucks, it fucking blows, it's a piece of shit.. and I don't like it.

(Source)
Quote:
Once the translation started, Dice said the Carpe Fulgur team found subtle ways to add their own touch to the game. For instance, in the original Japanese, main character Recette constantly repeats the Japanese word for "Yay!" ("Yatta"). In the American translation, Dice changed these outbursts up with silly suffixes, transforming a simple "Yay!" into a "Yayifications!" or a"Yayperoni!" for instance.

Quote:
"When you actually scripted it out and looked at the original script, it got a little bit repetitious," Dice said. "It wasn’t really unique enough to be a catch phrase, but it was still something that she needed to say, but if you just left it alone it would be monotonous... it would just probably bore the reader a little bit. So I decided to get a little bit creative with all those vanilla 'Yays.'"
Well,

But it's only $20 so I dunno.

Post subject: Re: Recettear - The game of running an item shop
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:07 pm 

> For instance, in the original Japanese, main character Recette constantly repeats the Japanese word for "Yay!" ("Yatta"). In the American translation, Dice changed these outbursts up with silly suffixes, transforming a simple "Yay!" into a "Yayifications!" or a"Yayperoni!" for instance.

Let them know your thoughts here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3346969

Not having a strong opinion, a character that shouts Yay! all the time, I'm guessing with ^^ eyeballs and victory fingers? sounds kind of silly either way.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:48 pm 

Where the fuck is my Kindle?

Amazon has the delivery date listed as September 13th and yet it is not here with me. I click on track package and it says it's currently in Illinois. Grumble grumble.

DoW2:
Heroes Played: Kommando, Force Commander, Apothecary, Warboss, Chaos Lord.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:03 pm 

Osiris wrote:
Not having a strong opinion, a character that shouts Yay! all the time, I'm guessing with ^^ eyeballs and victory fingers? sounds kind of silly either way.
After playing the demo (There's a demo on Steam) I bought it. Off of Impulse. I'll play it s'more after I do my daily DFO routine. Curse that game, it has made me its slave.

And wait did you mean to post my thoughts on the SA forum? I do have an account there but..

Haven't seen ^^ or victory fingers yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:39 pm 

> Haven't seen ^^ or victory fingers yet.

Heh, okay, I was just teasing anyway.

Yeah, I saw your post here, then saw something else that mentioned the guys that did the translation had a SA thread, quite a coincidence for both happening in the same day.

So is it any good? The screenshots make it look like a standard RPG, but the description sounds like managing a shop. Is it a little of both?

> Amazon has the delivery date listed as September 13th and yet it is not here with me.

Gr! I have been reading a lot of free classics on mine. Gave up on King Arthur. Finished Treasure Island (Not bad). And started on the complete H.P. Lovecraft collection this weekend. Finished "Amensia: Dark descent". Almost finished "Alien breed". Went out for a day on the town and hit up the Fort Wayne Art museum (No pictures allowed), the court house, got some coney dogs from a famous little hole in the wall (They werent' as good as I remembered). Drank too many beers and failed my team at L4D again. Had two kids over for sleepovers. Thought about the logistics of installing a fence for the dogs in the backyard but otherwise took no physical action. Busy weekend!

I know you can get all of Lovecraft's stuff for free, but $1.99 and 30 seconds of checkout time for 1000 pages in chronological order is worth it. I'm only a few stories into his work, but I can already see why so many modern authors cite him as a reference. It's a wonderful experience.

I still need to hunt down the rest of the Sherlock Holmes.

Eventually I may get around to actually buying some books off their kindle store :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 am 

Osiris wrote:
> Haven't seen ^^ or victory fingers yet.

Heh, okay, I was just teasing anyway.

Yeah, I saw your post here, then saw something else that mentioned the guys that did the translation had a SA thread, quite a coincidence for both happening in the same day.
I only really visit the "Anime Sucks" forum on SA, so it is a coincidence. Except maybe I think yesterday was release day? Or the day before? Whatever, I saw it on Steam, though I admittedly haven't been loading that up much lately. Guess it was destiny!

Quote:
So is it any good? The screenshots make it look like a standard RPG, but the description sounds like managing a shop. Is it a little of both?
It's the other way around, it's more managing the shop, with Zelda-style dungeons on the side. Apart from one annoyance involving getting specific equipment to specific adventurers, it's pretty cool so far. I'd say check out the demo. You can even keep your demo save game for the full version (Although I wouldn't mind terribly starting over, it's fun.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:01 am 

Ouch, metal crash right after I bought every limited stock metal item I could get my hands on, with two days left until the weekly deadline. I think I'll just keep the items and bite the game over, since you keep items and experience, but not money (Would be retarded to sell everything and get half the money I needed and then lose it all and have no items or money.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:10 pm 

It's still not here.

The website's ETA still says 'September 13th' which was yesterday last I checked. Fuck. I'm ready to buy books here. I've got like 3 I want to read. Truly is Amazon's shipping to Canada an atrocious thing. I better not have to wait this long for Wise Man's Fear.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 pm 

Soon! I do so hope you like it since I feel partially responsible for your purchase of this device.

My only gripe with the Kindle is the screen redraw makes flipping back a few pages somewhat onerous. Though the bookmarks and highlighting features do alleviate that quite a bit. If they can come out with color e-ink version, the printed word may soon be doomed. That's a bold statement. I hear the technology is gearing up for mass production, so I estimate another couple years to hit mass market.

Alex wants one now too.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:35 pm 

It's still not here.

But the website says its arrived in the city, so I'm guessing it'll be here tomorrow. Fucking lazy mailmen.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 pm 

26,000 copies sold

They were hoping for 10,000 over six months.

It's only $20, why haven't you bought YOUR copy? I've logged over 30 hours so far and it looks like I've a ways to go. And I've "beaten" it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:45 pm 

I think I probably will at some point. It'll probably go on sale this December, which will be the perfect time. :)

Plus as I've said probably 6 other times before, every time I look at my Steam list, I feel a wave of immense guilt at all the stuff I've never even installed yet.

On the upside, I'm getting better and walking away from stuff that turns out to be no good. Why did I buy that copy of Infernal? Because I thought I was buying Infamous. They are not the same game.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:25 am 

Holy fuck Minecraft.

This sky castle idea of mine has resulted in my plummeting to my death a few times. Maybe building up there wasn't a good idea, but I'm committed now. So far I have the antechamber done. I'm not sure how to plant a tree in there though. I want a tree in my antechamber.

My thing with heights really does come into play. Whenever I fall I let out an audible gasp.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:32 am 

You need to plant a sprout on grass. Grass grows on dirt. Grass needs a certain amount of light (And time, you might want to go off and do something else) to grow, find some coal and make some torches and you can throw up enough torches to grow it indoors. Or you could take out the ceiling to let in the sunlight, (Perhaps making a glass ceiling?) plant some dirt, wait for grass to grow, plant the sprout, and then after the tree grows, put the ceiling back (This may cause the tree to die I don't know.) Oh and the time applies to waiting for trees to grow too. Try digging a mine to find some iron or something at sunrise and come back later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:23 pm 

One minor correction - the dirt doesn't need to have grass on it to grow a tree. I grew a forest deep underground with torches and dirt.
Put a torch next to the sprout if it won't stick in the ground. I think they changed it so you can't even plant it if there isn't enough light, it pops out after a few seconds? Stick one there to be safe.

They take randomly between 1-x days to grow. Probably no more than 2 or 3?

Try to post some screenshots

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 pm 

Maybe they changed it? I could have swore you used to need grass.

I think I can attest to sprouts being popped back out if they cant grow. I once tried planting a large field of them, and when I came back most of the sprouts were gone, but rather than one giant mess of wood, there were some trees here and there blocking the sunlight to the rest of the area, so after one grew, it probably 'killed' the others nearby.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:44 pm 

http://www.minecraft.net/boo/

Obviously Valve inspired. It is nice to see progress. It really needs some quests. Hope he gets his company formalized soon and starts banging out massive code.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:57 pm 

Creepers are annoying enough as it is. A monster that explodes and destroys my meticulously built landscape? How do you get worse than that? Tiny swarms of spiders that eat blocks and turn mass swaths of the map into bedrock?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 am 

Osiris wrote:
Try to post some screenshots

Okay:

That's how high up the Sky Castle is. As you can see the way up is a bit haphazard. I'll fix that when I figure out how to make a minecart and a slope. I can say that going up that staircase is a terrifying experience every time.

This is how it looks from up top. I have fallen from there countless times trying to lay more bricks down.

This is the antechamber. It's a bit small now that I look at it again, but I think the way the ground and the roof don't connect makes it seem sufficiently mystical. Still, I might widen it out, although maybe not. It is just supposed to be the room where people take their shoes off before entering the castle proper.

This room (Which I've tentatively named the "Grand Hall") isn't done yet (it's going to be twice as long, though the width is good I think), but is turning out pretty well. Above this room will be a library.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:15 pm 

Does it snow constantly in your game? I have never had any weather effects in mine. Grr

That's a good sky-castle! I did the tower and staircase thing, pretty fancy-like, but then never really built anything at the top except for a large pylon of fire to act as a beacon. Though now that you can build compasses, it's purpose is perhaps now purely deco-rational.

Image Image Image