I am a jew who won't even celebrate Secular Present Opening Day 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am a horse. Neigh! 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
I got a rock 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Merry Christmas
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:56 pm 

That's right, not "Happy Holidays," I'm a MAVERICK

Anyway here is my 'loot':

-Castlevania Lords of Shadow (OSI THIS BETTER BE G- naw i'm just messin with ya)
-A Kindle (Wi-Fi only version.)
-new slippers

I'll go back to reading your stuff now that I don't need to print out 30 pages anymore, Naelok. I've already got that "Faith" and the Puzzle of the Cracked Ship, fffffuuuuu-too-obvious draft, on there, after much confusion about how to do this.

I also bought free Blackjack and Sudoku because they were $0.00 on Amazon. Oh and the last? of Harry Turtledove's American Empire trilogy that came out ages ago and I never read it because I had almost the entirety of the novel spoiled for me.. at Amazon, ironically. This is the one where the Confederates won the Civil War early on and were recognized by France and Britain and then fight an alternate WWI where the USA is allied with Germany.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the default font size? Was it the smallest one, or the second smallest one?

Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:03 pm 

We love kindles! I convinced my dad to get one, then he bought one for my mom. And we bought one for Alex! The little 6" ones redraw the screen a lot faster and maybe even look crisper. The official amazon leather cases are very handsome.

I hope you like Castlevania

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:18 am 
Site Admin

I got moneys, that's almost as cool as being a horse.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:50 pm 

I thought you were homeless

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:03 pm 

Osiris wrote:
We love kindles! I convinced my dad to get one, then he bought one for my mom. And we bought one for Alex! The little 6" ones redraw the screen a lot faster and maybe even look crisper. The official amazon leather cases are very handsome.
What kind do you get, the Wi-Fi only, the Wi-Fi+3G, or the DX? (And what era ones do you have for that matter.)

Quote:
I hope you like Castlevania
Me too! I think I'll try to finish Arkham Asylum before I crack it open though. I don't want to accidentally end up try to whip criminals or punch skeletons (Unless in the case of the later that is an actual option, though it shouldn't be since that is a non-Belmont thing, for someone like Alucard, Soma, Jonathan, Hector, Shanoa...)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:37 pm 

Well I splurged and got the DX+3G, everyone else got the 6" Wi-fi only. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten the 6" too. The screen size isn't a huge issue, and the smaller one seems to redraw quicker. It's so light weight! Also the 5-way button on the smaller one is nicer.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:10 am 

Thanks for the gift Frad. Are you trying to tell me that we should fight terrorists together? :) I'll get it installed soon.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:52 am 

Since there are no planes for me to crash (wtf), I think that when I install that all I'll do is join an American team and shoot the other Americans while shouting "I'M A CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR" until I'm perma-banned from every server in the game.

Also I really need to get a case for my Kindle

DoW2:
Heroes Played: Kommando, Force Commander, Apothecary, Warboss, Chaos Lord.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:34 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the gift Frad. Are you trying to tell me that we should fight terrorists together? :) I'll get it installed soon.
Kinda! The Single-player campaign is worth playing too though. Although I think once you get to multiplayer, the Rules change. I never had to worry about bullets dropping off during the campaign on Normal difficulty (Or if I did I didn't notice) but from everything I've heard that's in multiplayer.

Here's a video that's worth watching. It also has useful tips (Though it assumes you're playing a console version; when he says "Select" instead think "Q.")

Naelok wrote:
Since there are no planes for me to crash (wtf), I think that when I install that all I'll do is join an American team and shoot the other Americans while shouting "I'M A CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR" until I'm perma-banned from every server in the game.
Since a bunch of the "gang" has the game you may want to reconsider this

Besides I did something similar to this ages ago in Counter-strike. I named myself "Pacifist Bot" and ran around spamming a binded line that said "Stop fighting!" while running up to people on the other team. I still remember fondly the time I was actually the last person left on the team and managed to spam it next to someone for a good 10 seconds while everyone else on the server was loling before they realized someone was behind them.

Was never banned for this. Although I guess that's a little different since it didn't involve friendly fire. I don't even remember if that was enabled for CS. It might be in this I guess? In the single-player campaign, your squad-mates are immortal.

Quote:
Also I really need to get a case for my Kindle
Me too. I didn't even think about it until after I had one. My house is extremely dusty (I was actually blowing particles off of it when first using it) so just leaving it sit out will Not Work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:04 pm 

> Since there are no planes for me to crash (wtf)

Aren't there remote controlled helicopters in this, or am I thinking of another game. RC cars with dynamite or something?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:13 pm 

Osiris wrote:
> Since there are no planes for me to crash (wtf)

Aren't there remote controlled helicopters in this,
Yes

Quote:
or am I thinking of another game. RC cars with dynamite or something?
I think GTA might have those? Actually I seem to remember a remote controlled helicopter in GTA too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:00 pm 

Fradener wrote:
Since a bunch of the "gang" has the game you may want to reconsider this.

No. This only forces me to greater acts of teamkillery. I will need to 'encourage' you guys to stop playing it after all.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:08 am 

You are such a negative nancy

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:21 am 

That's a good video. It would have taken a long time to learn about that spotting

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:32 am 

I will make you two a DEAL.

This story I wrote is a surprisingly big hit with all the peoples. When both of you read it (along with Sputnik) and post your THOUGHTS, I will install Bad Company. It is a slim 15 pages double spaced so this should not be an onerous demand.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:24 pm 

Read the story. I didn't think about it until I got to the end, but with my kindle, I can proofread your stories as I read them and then later point out all of your mistakes! :D

As it is all I got was the last line of dialog, I thought it sounded off.

As for the actual story,

spoilers in case Osi hasn't read it:

Quote:
Death to the xenos. I got a Tau Empire vibe from the aliens, which instantly made me hate them. Unavoidable, I'm not a big fan of Alien Overlords. I for one do not welcome them.
Now I didn't hate it mind you. It was well enough written that I finished it in one sitting without falling asleep, which says something (Possibly that I've been staying up too long too much.) :P The 'sidekick' guy reminded me of the robot Carl from that Penny Arcade thing (Automata?) He was all right I guess.
I was surprised that the main character failed his titular role. Possibly an expectation partially created from that Puzzle story. For a one shot, his adversary was awfully skilled (You COULD place the blame on the main character, but he seemed competent enough that I'll give him a pass.) Usually I expect a disastrous start from a longer work where the protagonist has a chance to redeem themselves. But that's probably an unfair expectation again. That creates a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation when there's pretty much two outcomes. That said, even if you expect the hero to prevail, when his craft is something unusual or different from the norm, the enjoyment comes not from guessing whether or not he will succeed, but from watching him ply his unique craft. And, this is just my opinion, I'd generally prefer to see them do that to great or interesting effect, and maybe even learn something. You could argue that lessons are learned from the failure and take it as a cautionary tale of sorts, but shut up. That kind of thinking gets you the original terrible ending to Little Shop of Horrors before they fixed it in that movie with Rick Moranis. Now write me a story about how a captive guy successfully manages to extricate himself from gunpoint by Commie Nazis with his skill of invoking crippling sympathy pains. Also, I think it would help his character's motivation if he were on fire.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:18 am 

I don't need people to proofread. Proofreading is something I specifically request when I give something to an individual. Most of the time when I distribute something at a wide scale I just want them to read it. So don't bother.

I don't even see what's wrong with the last line. Maybe a break before the repetition to emphasize the tone of voice? That's rather unnecessary, but might help.

Quote:
I don't get everything you're saying. Does not hating something and not falling asleep during the course of the story mean that you liked it? Or does it mean that you were indifferent? Please clarify.

The alien sidekick reminding you of Carl is a good thing, I guess. I liked Carl. Although I'm assuming you mean Tycho's Carl rather than the Carl presented in that abominable Automata guest strip series. That shit was just rancid.

I don't actually feel that Kom's profession was that unusual. Hiring a native intermediary to act as a go between for an 'occupying' power and the occupied civilization is a fairly standard practice. But if the ending was a surprise, then good that works. I feel quite strongly that Shelley was not a personality who could just be convinced to discard her ideology and play nice, so I am glad I picked the ending that I did.

I don't understand any of the other things you were trying to say.

Osi and Sput still have to read it before I install Bad Company.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:51 am 

It was too short to form a connection to either side, but otherwise a solid read.

Thoughts that came to mind:

1. What was the lunar incident, and why did it occur?
2. The aliens seemed contrite about the 'burning dust', couldn't hate them too much based on what was supplied
3. What were the terrorist's demands? Why execute the hostages? Was it just an excuse to be put in front of media to state a case- That would make sense, but I don't think it was stated.
4. Why didn't the negotiator know anything about the hostage takers or the situation in general? He seemed to be flying pretty blind here.
5. I imagine some correlation between this story and western hegemony, but nuking the entire city seems like an over the top response for someone trying to construct an infrastructure in a foreigner's land.

All answers that I imagine could be provided with some sort of DLC

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:54 am 

One goal for this story was to keep things tight and short. A 40 page story is hardly a 'short' story after all, so all 'extra' ideas had to be snipped down.

1) A massacre of human colonists on the moon. It is not stated explicitly in the story, but one may safely extrapolate that it occurred sometime before the treaty spoken of in the story was signed (but nonetheless remains a potent collective memory).

2) That is by design.

3) The terrorists pretended at negotiation so that they could buy time for themselves to escape with some Sasathel technological goodies (weapons, etc). This was stated.

4) This was mostly cut out, but I felt comfortable doing this cutting due to the reasoning that the terrorists requested negotiations and the aliens were hoping for a quick end to this unprecedented situation. He got sort of shoved into the frying pan because he was human and therefore expendable.

5) Not really a question and I would greatly hesitate to make a 1:1 analogy to real world conflict and this story (though one very recent bombing campaign does spring to mind). However, I will say that a disproportionate response is the typical reaction of the overarmed and the overemotional.

Sput still hasn't read it.

DoW2:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:04 am 

> This was stated.

No, it was stated by the *negotiator*. Was it stated by the terrorists? "Because all we called you here for was to buy time." is the extent of their explanation.

Good writers have their characters with a motive in mind, just don't forget to let the audience in on them. ;-)

Image Image Image